Facial rollers. You’ve seen them on the shelves at Sephora, your dermatologist recommended using one and chances are, you’re now ready to give one a whirl. The variety of face rollers on the market is vast, and frankly, can get confusing. You need to select a stone type (whether that’s jade, rose quartz, amethyst, etc), pick between a range of roller sizes and decide whether you want your roller mechanically powered or operated manually. We can’t blame you for seeking some much needed guidance and that’s where we come in.
In our journey towards youthful, bright-looking skin we’re always eager to test out the latest skincare tools and the much-praised, rose quartz roller benefits have officially piqued our interest. After researching rose quartz rollers in depth, we’ve put together a detailed guide that covers everything you need to know about rose quartz rollers, tips on how to use them and reasons why including facial rolling to your daily skincare routine is a good idea.
If you’re still wondering whether a gemstone facial roller or a gua sha best suits your beauty care needs, be sure to check out our article comparing these two popular, face massaging tools! On the other hand, if you want to discover the various rose quartz roller benefits, keep reading.
This article contains affiliate links
The Rose Quartz Roller Benefits – And Why You Should Use One!
Facial rollers can be found in a variety of different stones or crystals, each of which have their own unique properties – the one you decide to invest in should depend on your own personal needs. Of course, this article is all about rose quartz face rollers and their many benefits, but it’s worth researching which is right for you, your skin and your overall goals.
For readers who are into crystals and their healing benefits, you may already know that the rose quartz stone is famed for its warm, healing properties. According to experts, this gemstone is closely connected with the heart chakra due to its ability to “help stabilize and sort the emotional patterns of our whole being” by “releasing trapped emotions from the physical tissues“.
And whilst not everyone will be sold on the spiritual aspect of the rose quartz stone, there are actually tangible rose quartz roller benefits that you’ll want to be aware of, and we’ve got those covered too.
The rose quartz face roller is designed in the style of a small rolling pin or roller paintbrush, and features a cylindrical shaped rose quartz gemstone as its roller. This is then rolled along the face and neck for a massaging effect that is beneficial for the skin and one’s overall well-being. In short, all face rollers are basically hand tools that allow you to give yourself a facial massage from the comfort of your own home.
Here are some of the rose quartz roller benefits you may experience:
- Promotes Relaxation and Reduces Anxiety: The benefits of massages have been widely documented. To name just one source, Tiffany Field’s 2006 book Massage Therapy Research credits massage therapy with the ability to alleviate pain, ease the symptoms of depression and much more. Just like indulging in a full-body massage, using your rose quartz roller to massage your face is likely to promote relaxation and reduce anxiety.
- Stimulates Blood Flow: Some use face rollers to stimulate blood flow and they are very right to do so. Sure enough, a scientific study published in the journal of Complementary Therapies in Medicine confirms that a facial massage roller, especially one powered by mechanical stimulation, effectively increases the skin blood flow giving your face a more radiant appearance, as well as promoting firmer looking skin.
- Reduces Facial Swelling: In stimulating better blood circulation, you’ll find that a rose quartz roller also reduces facial swelling and helps get rid of under-eye bags.
- Stimulates Lymphatic Drainage: Apart from stimulating blood flow, massaging your face and neck also encourages lymphatic drainage. Using a rose quartz roller allows you to manually massage your face and neck from home and, if done correctly, helps to flush out any toxins from your body.
- Alleviates Sinus Problems: A number of studies show that massaging the face could alleviate the symptoms of chronic sinusitis, making a rose quartz face roller a health aid as well as a beauty tool. In fact, these health benefits could explain why some users have credited face rollers with making their face appear slimmer. In reducing any facial puffiness and aiding in lymphatic draining, your face may certainly appear more contoured, however, only maintaining a healthy lifestyle can truly slim down your face, sorry ladies!
- Soothes: The rose quartz stone retains its cool temperature, which feels lusciously soothing when rolled upon the skin.
- Said to Help Reduce Fine Lines: Rose quartz is considered an ’emotional healing’ crystal, said to be the best for softening fine lines. This perfectly complements the lymphatic drainage and stimulated blood flow from the rolling. The act of rolling also helps to improve fine lines and wrinkles by evenly spreading any pre-applied skincare products around the face and ensuring thorough absorption.
**Editor’s Tip**: for an extra soothing and calming face rolling experience, consider placing your rose quartz facial roller in the fridge prior to use. Since rose quartz is able to retain its cool temperature, you’ll appreciate the soothing cool feeling of the stone on your face after a long hard day at work.
Jade vs Rose Quartz Rollers – Which is Better?
Although they are not the only kinds available, jade and rose quartz are the celebrities of face rollers – probably because they are the most commonly available. Both gemstones have long been hailed for their distinctive qualities and respective benefits, which is why first time buyers may have a hard time picking the best face roller for them.
Rose quartz and jade face rollers are equally effective facial massagers – both rollers stimulate blood flow and promote lymphatic drainage for a natural process of detoxification, but which stone is best totally depends on you! For starters, it’s important to know which best suits your skin type:
- Rose quartz face rollers are ideal for combination or sensitive skin that requires more nourishment. After all, the rose quartz stone revolves around the heart chakra and love, and that includes self-love too!
- Jade rollers are better for more oily or acne prone skin and are naturally anti-inflammatory. More often than not, this makes them more popular with younger users
Ultimately, both types of rollers will soothe the skin, help to improve fine lines, reduces puffiness and encourages lymphatic drainage, but in short rose quartz is all about nourishment, whereas the jade roller is more about purity and clarity.
What’s more important is to ensure that whichever face roller you purchase is not chemically treated, as this changes the chemical composition of the stone and therefore changes its energetic effect. Ultimately, this nullifies the effect of either stone!
How to Use a Rose Quartz Face Roller
Before using your rose quartz face roller, ensure that your face is properly cleansed of any make up or dirt that may have been picked up throughout the day. Tone your skin after cleansing if this is typically part of your routine (if so, you may want to check out our article on the best niacinamide toners available), and follow with your favourite serum, moisturiser and/or facial oil. It’s important that your skin is somewhat lubricated to prevent any tugging of the skin, which may contribute to wrinkles.
- Begin by gently rolling your rose quartz roller with an even, upward motion starting from your clavicle, neck and jawline. Only apply a gentle pressure, there is no need to push too hard.
- Continue this upward rolling motion from the jawline and chin to the ear on both sides in an upward and outward motion, continuing all the way up to the cheekbone and moving towards the ears.
- Next, use the smaller roller to continue that same outward and upward rolling motion from the inner corner of the eye to the temples.
- Roll around the outer eye and temples in the direction of the forehead.
- Finish by using the larger rose quartz roller on the forehead.
How Often Should I Use My Rose Quartz Roller?
Once a day, twice a day.. the choice is entirely yours, and depends on the amount of time you have available to you.
If you only have time to use your rose quartz face roller once a day, you can either use your rose quartz face roller first thing in the morning, or use it to massage away your daily tensions right before heading to bed at night. Even using your face roller once a day for a just a few minutes will aid in increasing blood flow to the cheeks.
How to Clean a Rose Quartz Roller
It is recommended that you use a clean wet cloth or face towel to wipe away any remaining skin care products from your rose quartz facial roller – ideally after each and every single use. If this is not always possible, aim to do it at least once a week.
After removing any excess product from the face roller, run it under a stream of running water, making sure that the water is neither too cool nor too warm as this might damage the stone.
Finally, leave the roller to air dry on a soft, clean towel.
Don’t forget to pin this article if you found it helpful, and follow Dukes Avenue on Pinterest for more!